A Gift of Your Time is One of the Most Rewarding Gifts of all.
Just take a look at the ways YOUR TIME can help:
NEW - Family Room Volunteer*
Time Commitment: 3 hour shifts, weekly, bi-monthly or monthly
Sign up for 3-hour shifts to help manage our soon-to-open Family Room in the new James & Connie Maynard Children's Hospital at Vidant Medical Center. Duties will include light housekeeping, touring new families through the facility and ensuring a warm, welcoming environment.
*We are currently seeking individuals or groups to commit to a regularly-scheduled time slot Mon.-Fri. 9am-6pm. Contact Cathy Ahlschlager if you are interested.
Regular House Volunteer*
Time Commitment: 2 hour shifts, weekly or bi-monthly
Sign up for 2-hour shifts to perform House duties (cleaning, straighten-up, organize). These volunteers are crucial to the operation of the House.
Special Event Volunteer*
Time Commitment: Varies
Sign up to be called for various special events/projects that happen throughout the year. Examples: Sport A Shirt, Light A Luminary, golf tournaments etc.
Time Commitment: Late afternoon/early evening for dinner; late morning for lunch
Great for groups! Meal groups plan a menu, shop in our pantry for staple items (may need to supplement with store-bought items) and come to the House to prepare your meal. Groups should have no more than 6 "chefs," and all participants must be 18 or older.
Visit our Make A Meal Program page for more information.
Sign up here to Prepare a nightly meal at the House.
Wish List Collections
Time Commitment: Varies
Having 21 bedrooms, the Ronald McDonald House of Eastern NC is in constant need of many household items. Collect any number of items and deliver to the House during regular hours. Great for schools groups, church groups, community organizations and businesses. Many groups encourage peers to bring Wish List items to upcoming meetings or host Wish List Drives to collect as many items as possible.
For an updated list of needs, visit our Wish List page.
Other Ways to Help
- Divide & Donate - Do you have a green thumb? Help beautify our gardens by dividing perennials and donating to the Ronald McDonald House. Click here to learn more.
- Collect Pop Tabs.
- Create door decorations for all 21 of our family bedrooms.
- Create "Thank You" cards for our families to send to their supporters.
- Quilting Program - numerous quilting guilds and individual quilters donate quilts/blankets for our families to ensure that every family goes home with a special gift for their child.
- Creat goody bags for families. Examples: Toiletry Kits, Activity Kits for Children (puzzles, notepads, stickers, etc.), Goody Bags for Parents (books, magazines, stamps, etc.).
- Donate new toys or clothing items for Bingo prizes, Santa Room, etc.
- Have an idea for a new way to support our families? Let us know. Fill out our Third Party Fundraising Form to get started.
Some of our favorite NICU nurses prepare a meal for our families.
*All House/Special Events Volunteers work directly under the supervision of the Community Outreach Director.
For more information contact Cathy Ahlschlager, at 252-847-9127.
Current volunteers: click here to view/edit the Family Room Calendar.